About the Society


The Polish Radiation Research Society (PRRS) was founded in 1967 by a group of radiation chemists, physicists, engineers, and biologists. Altogether, thirty one founder members participated in the first meeting of the Society held on June 29, 1967. The meeting accepted the framework of the Society and its official name, and elected the Organizing Committee. Within eighteen months, the statute of PRRS was formulated and legally registered. The Society soon began its cooperation with the International Association for Radiation Research (IARR) and the European Society for Radiation Biology (ESRB). The first National Scientific Meeting of PRRS was convened on January 8, 1969. The meeting elected Professor Jerzy Kroh as the first President of the Society, Dr. Janusz Beer as the Secretary, and Professor Roman Broszkiewicz as the Treasurer.


Currently, the PRRS gathers both researchers and practitioners from the fields of chemistry, biology, physics, medicine, agronomy, and other areas. The National Scientific Meetings are organized every three years and usually include the General Assembly of the Members.


Throughout its history, the PRRS has organized many scientific conferences and meetings, including important international events (see Conferences and Meetings). In 2011 the Society was the organizer of the 14th International Congress of Radiation Research (ICRR’2011).


The very special events for PRRS, which have been regularly organized since 1970, are its five-day ‘Autumn Schools’. These meetings are targeted at both the PRRS members and the general public. The Schools’ programmes have covered various topics concerning fundamental and applied radiation research, radiation technology, and radiation protection. Until now, the Schools have been attended by over 1600 participants, some 400 lectures have been given, and over 160 reports have been presented by the attendees. The Autumn School lectures are usually published as separate monographs.



The logo of the Polish Radiation Research Society was designed by an artist Hanna Jelonek. The Society’s badge is coined by the National Mint in Warsaw.